[CentOS-devel] RFC: CentOS 8 Repository Structure

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Mon Jun 24 11:50:45 UTC 2019

On 19/06/2019 19:27, Brian Stinson wrote:
> I deliberately left that unspecified to generate discussion here. The
> tradeoff is between keeping large amounts of history, and conserving
> space on the mirrors. If we want to prune at point-release time we can.

There are a couple of fundamental challenges here, the way we distribute
content is a model that was built for an internet and scope which
existed in 2001.

There is enough infra and wide enough footprint that we should consider
moving to a better content delivery model and service, rather than
static files, promoted around the world entirely removed from frequency
of use or impact. This is going to be a longer conversation, but
something we should scope though ( Even if we dont do it. )

retain a small footprint in msync means a more consistent use-case for
everyone who needs that content. its a model thats worked well for us,
and I'd say worth sticking with - if we were to prune say 2 times a
year, past point releases, that would likely work fine.

The one problem we -do- need to think through at this point is when
folks get stuck across trim lines. eg. kernel running that for a mod
build, now needs a src which got trimmed; there is never a good solution
for this, other than promoting every vault repo as enabled for all
content to be visible, always.

regards,