[CentOS-devel] How altarch will be in CentOS 8?

Marcin Juszkiewicz

marcin.juszkiewicz at linaro.org
Mon Jun 3 11:51:48 UTC 2019

W dniu 03.06.2019 o 13:32, Fabian Arrotin pisze:

> If me move aarch64/ppc64le under /centos/8 , people who were used to
> previous location will still try to find it under /altarch/

And how many people looked at /centos/7/ and then complained that
package was not provided for arch they used?

> Also worth noting that if we move to /centos/ , more external mirrors
> will get content for those architectures that they probably weren't
> interested in (reason why altarch was a separate module, to let people
> opt-in) .

> That would also confuse those links :
>
> https://www.centos.org/download/mirrors/
> https://www.centos.org/download/altarch-mirrors/

Definition of altarch changes too. Also you can provide information
which architectures are on which list.

And in meantime please give some a11y docs to webmaster as whole
centos.org website is nightmare to look. My eyes are not young and I can
not stand looking at those pages for more then minute.

> So, while it's clear that aarch64 and ppc64le are now "primary" arches
> (built in parallel of the x86_64 on https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/)
> the real question is : do we still consider those "altarch" or not :)

I hope that with CentOS 9 or 10 we will have discussion with "do we
consider x86-64 altarch or not" :D