[CentOS-devel] Delta RPMs (drpms) for CentOS-6 and CentOS-7

aleksander.baranowski

aleksander.baranowski at yahoo.pl
Tue Jun 4 15:48:31 UTC 2019

Hi,

First of all, I would like to note that I don't have any strong opinion
about delta RPMs in CentOS, but there are things that I would like to
notice.

1) It might be a good idea to get some statistics about the usage of
delta RPMs. It's also said that some issues require extra development
time, that can be spent better. Once more, some additional information
might be helpful. Fact and statistics based decisions are better.
2) From my experience, the large packages that should leverage delta
RPMs the most are not deltarpmed (is this a word?).
3) Maybe keeping delta RPMs for last 2-3 package version would be some
acceptable trade-off.

On 6/4/19 5:44 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 6/4/19 10:18 AM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
>> I'd love to see drpms for things like going from 7.5.1804 to 7.6.1810
>> (or the next set of versions) in theory these should only need
>> maintenance with the actual release and might help with folks making the
>> upgrade.?? I can see this having a positive impact at release time for
>> folks and let people who've got old media make a faster jump.
>>
>> Pat
>>

> Believe it or not .. that is the only time we don't currently do them :)

Insert Palpatine Ironic meme

Bests,
Alex