[CentOS-devel] RFC: CentOS 8 Repository Structure

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 17:47:18 UTC 2019

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 at 12:32, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org> wrote:

> On 19/06/2019 17:18, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> >>
> >> We plan to compose all of those repositories, and deliver updates in
> the same stream.
> >
> > Just so that people realize : no *updates* repo anymore, so all combined
> > : if you install from network $today, what you'll install $tomorrow will
> > have all rolled-in directly
> >

> that's not going to work - we need to retain the ability to deliver
> reproducible installs.

I think there is some confusion as what Brian is describing is what RHEL
has been doing since EL6.

This isn't any different from what RHEL does now. You have a primary iso
image you instal from but if you point a kickstart to a
baseurl=https://cdn.<foo>
you get whatever was in the compose of the day (with all the previous
packages there also but most installs will just pull the latest). If you
want a reproducible RHEL install you need to only use the ISO or some
similar frozen toolkit (Satellite, specific local branches, etc) but
otherwise you can get different installs each day. Whether this is a good
design or not is a different question... but it is one which has been in
place for nearly 10 years in the RHEL upstream. [Currently the Fedora
up-upstream does keep /updates/ but that is done by other production tools.]

> This may just be a case of having a second set of metadata.
>
> also, what life term are we going to have for the single repo structure
> ? are we hoping to retain all content for the life of the release ?

I believe what Brian was saying is that this would only be retained for the
life of a point release, but I may be misunderstanding.

> regards,

Stephen J Smoogen.