[CentOS-devel] RFC: CentOS 8 Repository Structure

Brian Stinson

brian at bstinson.com
Wed Jun 19 18:42:13 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019, at 13:25, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 19/06/2019 19:22, Brian Stinson wrote:

> >> combined
> >> $tomorrow will

> >> here?
> >> >

> >> I need to be able to run installs against a mirror, weeks and months
> >> apart and arrive at the same payload installed exactly.
> >>
> >> regards
> >
> > Is there something preventing you from doing that if we ship updates in
> > the same repo as the 0-day release content?
> >

> yes,
>
> if i yum install <httpd>; with the base only. I'd like to get the same
> httpd, not the 3 versions removed in the updates that have now landed in
> the same repo.
>
> again, this maybe just a case of publishing a 2nd set of metadata rather
> than retain the base rpm set, but we need to retain this functionality.

Wouldn't pinning versions be better here if that's what you need? If you took that same kickstart over to a RHEL machine, you'd get the updates over there.

Seems to me like delivering the updates separately goes against our community recommendations anyways (i.e. the first thing we say in irc is "did you run yum/dnf update?").