[CentOS-devel] RFC: CentOS 8 Repository Structure

Phil Perry

pperry at elrepo.org
Wed Jun 19 20:01:54 UTC 2019

On 19/06/2019 19:27, Brian Stinson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2019, at 13:10, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 19/06/2019 18:47, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

>> >     This may just be a case of having a second set of metadata.
>> >
>> >     also, what life term are we going to have for the single repo
>> structure
>> >     ? are we hoping to retain all content for the life of the release ?
>> >

>> > I believe what Brian was saying is that this would only be retained for
>> > the life of a point release, but I may be misunderstanding.
>> >

>> That works, can we get confirmation here ?
>
> I deliberately left that unspecified to generate discussion here. The
> tradeoff is between keeping large amounts of history, and conserving
> space on the mirrors. If we want to prune at point-release time we can.

Personally I'd prefer a model closer to rhel where all packages are
available within a channel/repository for the life of the product, but I
fully appreciate the tradeoff on mirror size etc. The really important
thing for me is that we don't break the behaviour of CentOS relative to
rhel, so it is really important that older content is always available /
installable from somewhere - currently that's the vault repo and
although not ideal it provides a workaround.