[CentOS-devel] RFC: CentOS 8 Repository Structure

Thomas Oulevey

thomas.oulevey at cern.ch
Thu Jun 20 09:45:55 UTC 2019

Hi Folks,

>>> While we cycle through some of the remaining builds I'd like to start a
>>> discussion about what the CentOS 8  repo structure might look like. We
>>> need to think about what the repos look like on-disk, and how this
>>> might impact the mirrors.

I'll +1 KB on the install tree.

I have not strong feeling on how it is done on the technical side, but
we need to be sure that we can install from a "minor release" and get
the same output until the end of CentOS 8 lifecycle. Having a moving
target for initial set of installation packages would be impossible to
test at scale.

Not supporting real minor release, as it is already the case today is
understood.

I like James snapshot idea, as this is something we manage internally
and would save us work. And it will be easy to name a snapshot after a
minor release.

> By the way, I am only +0 on this at the moment. I can see why it
> looks attractive and makes certain work easier, but I am also aware
> it will makes deployment different/harder. But hey ~5 years ago we
> had a similar conversation on CentOS 7 minor version numbers with me
> arguing against going with 7.<YYYYMM> and wanting to keep 7.<minor>.

Is it still "required" ? :) Can we have 8.X again ? Can we have a 8.X
symlink ? It's not a requirement but keeping thing simple is always good.

--
Thomas 'alphacc' Oulevey