[CentOS-devel] RFC: CentOS 8 Repository Structure

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 00:17:12 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 8:45 AM Brian Stinson <brian at bstinson.com> wrote:

> To be clear, the plan is to *not* ship separate repositories for ResilientStorage, NFV, HighAvailability, or RT. There may be components of those upstream channels that make it into BaseOS.

Given the python modules provided in those channels, they will
definitely be needed in CentOS 8 or EPEL 8: I see python-boto3,
python-botocore, and python-s3transfer, for example, in multiple RHEL
8 channels. Even if their segregation in multiple channels upstream
was confusing or unwise, I'm not convinced it makes sense to try to
merge them cleverly elsewhere in CentOS 8, especially if those
channels ever differentiate when the individual modules are published
upstream by RHEL. And since python modules *do* sometimes update,
incompatibly with other python modules, I see a modest risk there.

Since "BaseOS" is its special little channel designed for the minimum
core of highly stable, base system components like rpm itself, bind,
and bzip2, I don't see how the frequently updated AWS published python
modules would be appropriate there. Do you see a way such dynamically
updated components would be appropriate there?