[CentOS-devel] How altarch will be in CentOS 8?

Mon Jun 3 11:32:28 UTC 2019
Ladar Levison <ladar at lavabit.com>

> I think that re-arranging all the architectures that are listed in
> /etc/yum.repos.CentOS-Base.repo means changing the layout of all the
> mock and yum configs as well. It's not necessarily evil, but it would
> be confusing to be different for RHEL 8 from all the other architectures.

The $basearch is included in yum configuration URLs. So:

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os&infra=$infra
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/

That is from C7. I presume that the altarch RPM which provides the
yum.repos.d has config files which use a different path (they include
altarch in the directory for the base URL). That makes switching the
location of the repos after launch trickier, and probably why it's worth
discussing now.

I agree with the original message, some of the alt arches, ie aarch64,
ppc64le, s390x should be moved to the main directory structure, so the
packages are distributed more widely, and to all of the mirrors, for C8.
Arm in particular is growing rapidly in popularity, and I suspect power
will as well (over the life of C8), so it makes sense that those repos
be treated on par with x86_64 for C8.