[CentOS-devel] Weekly SIG meetings

Matthias Runge

mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Fri Mar 1 10:55:29 UTC 2019

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 01:01:48PM -0500, Rich Bowen wrote:
> I've been noticing, over the last 3 or 4 months, that many of our SIGs
> are no longer in the habit of holding their (bi-)weekly meetings on IRC.
> I don't know why this is happening - perhaps they're having their
> discussions elsewhere, or perhaps there's nothing to discuss.
>
> However, I want to remind you that these meetings are a window into your
> work for the larger community. Your meeting minutes are public, and
> useful for people who are not directly involved in the SIG but who want
> to know what's happening. Even a 5-minute status checkin is valuable to
> our users.
>
> I would point you to the excellent example of this from the CBS/Infra
> weekly meeting, the transcript of which you can see here:
>
> https://www.centos.org/minutes/2019/February/centos-devel.2019-02-18-14.02.log.html
>
> Note that there's only one meeting participant, but the meeting is held
> to offer the opportunity for discussion should anyone need it.
>
> Please do get back in the habit of meeting regularly.

Rich,

thank you for sending this out.

We, for opstools sig stopped regular irc meetings. At the end, it was
just two of us, talking repeatedly about the same; for both of us,
the main focus of work moved on; that doesn't mean, the SIG or its
content became irrelevant, it just means, there is no need of adding
another meeting to the week, when there's nothing to talk about.

With that being said, if there is something, I'm happy to organize
new meetings.

What about other SIGs? Or maybe it would be useful to have a regular
"SIG"/project sync meeting with SIG chairs reporting progress?

Matthias
--
Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de>