[CentOS-devel] Preliminary RHEL 8 review

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu May 9 22:54:27 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 5:16 PM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 17:10, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 15:54, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've noticed a few things that may help other people setting up test
>>> environments.
>>>
>>> 1) The RPMs on the installation media are split into two distinct
>>> repositories, "BaseOS" and "AppStream", for no reason I can discern.
>>> This means that if you try, like me, to mount a DVD image and use it
>>> as local yum repo for testing out kickstart setups and mock builds,
>>> you need to address the multiple necessary repositories with the new
>>> names.
>>>

>> So going from what was listed at Summit presentations:
>>  BaseOS is going to be packages which will not be updated majorly during the lifetime of the release. Appstream is going to be packages which may get updated often during the release. Something like Slow, Fast, Modules would probably have been more intuitive for us gear-heads but for most tech support probably not.
>>
>> As you say, you will need to update kickstarts to add an additional repository.
>>

>>> 2) For Virtualbox, it absolutely needs more than 1 GB of RAM.With only
>>> 1 GB, it hands during hte firstboot setups.
>>>

>> I believe the recommended minimum is now 2GB. It can probably be done in less if you know what you are doing.
>>

>>> 3) Mock is going to be.... awkward to port, due to multiple python
>>> dependencies in on the DVD.
>>

>> Do you mean with using the system-python or using a python module?

I mean lots of modules, including pytest and python-setuptools_scm. It
also lacks doxygen.

> I believe for most compilations you need 1 more repository, Code Ready Linux Builder which contains a lot of the items you are looking for. With that enabled, you should be able to compile mock (at least my mockchain does not complain about missing packages).

Thank you for the pointer. I can believe that many such modules are in
a distinct channel. It's certainly not on the installation DVD. The
idea that "Code Ready Linux Builder" would contain various python
modules, but that basic sofrtware building tools like gcc, make, and
rpmbuild are om the basic AppStream channel seems..... well, it seems
contradictory to me. I see that channel mentioned in plans for RHEL 8
at https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/11/15/introducing-codeready-linux-builder/.

Is there any plan to support separating out this channel for CentOS? I
hope it will be accessible by default in the base configurations, I
really don't want to have deduce that my Chef configurations that need
to compile small local tools need to also already be subscribed to
such a separate channel.