[CentOS-devel] Preliminary RHEL 8 review

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu May 9 23:08:14 UTC 2019

On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 18:54, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Do you mean with using the system-python or using a python module?
>
> I mean lots of modules, including pytest and python-setuptools_scm. It
> also lacks doxygen.

Yeah it became clearer in your email I got after I sent this that you had
dropped the explanation of what you meant.

> > I believe for most compilations you need 1 more repository, Code Ready
> Linux Builder which contains a lot of the items you are looking for. With
> that enabled, you should be able to compile mock (at least my mockchain
> does not complain about missing packages).
>
> Thank you for the pointer. I can believe that many such modules are in
> a distinct channel. It's certainly not on the installation DVD. The
> idea that "Code Ready Linux Builder" would contain various python
> modules, but that basic sofrtware building tools like gcc, make, and
> rpmbuild are om the basic AppStream channel seems..... well, it seems
> contradictory to me. I see that channel mentioned in plans for RHEL 8
> at
> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/11/15/introducing-codeready-linux-builder/
> .
>
> Is there any plan to support separating out this channel for CentOS? I
> hope it will be accessible by default in the base configurations, I
> really don't want to have deduce that my Chef configurations that need
> to compile small local tools need to also already be subscribed to
> such a separate channel.

I do not know what the plans are for how things will be separated out yet.
As you point out the split of things is rather... chaotic and could be
prone to change upstream. I do not know if anything is pushed to CentOS
which says where things go either.. so it will be later in the
build/test/rc cycle before I think things will be known for sure.

Stephen J Smoogen.