[CentOS-devel] RHEL 8, and potentially CentOS 8, lack "/usr/bin/python"

Peter Meier peter.meier at immerda.ch
Sun May 12 10:54:25 UTC 2019

> I'm sad to say that there are was also a confusing decision to rename
> some packages such as "platform-python-coverage" instead of the old
> name "python3-coverage", matching the python2-coverage which still
> exists. I've no idea why someone specifically chose to violate that
> naming convention, and it had to be a conscious choice.

Be aware that there is a minimal python installation (called
platform-python) that is used for platfrom/system tools like yum.

But this minimal python installation should not be used for anything
else and thus there will likely be other packages with python{2,3}-*
naming, as the platform-python-coverage will not be usable for the
regular python installations.

At least this is how I understood the split from the blog posts.

best

~pete