[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 Artwork needed

Alain Reguera Delgado alain.reguera at gmail.com
Mon May 13 13:24:05 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-05-13 at 14:00 +0200, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> We don't get the sources for logos (for debranding reasons), and that
> was true for c7 too.

That's understandable. However, one may wonder where to take the GA
redhat-logos SRPM to start the rebranding process of GA centos-logos
SRPM? Should it be based on the beta version of it?

> But we had our own centos-logos in git, and I see that Johnny already
> pushed your mods there :
>
> https://git.centos.org/rpms/centos-logos/blob/c8/f/SPECS/centos-logos.spec#_215

Nices :) Thanks Johnny! I am looking right into it.

> My proposal would be (if that's fine for you) :
> - push some mock-ups/files, everything related to Artwork to
> https://git.centos.org/centos/Artwork

Here, should I use the lookaside_upload script from centos-git-common
to upload binary files (e.g., images in PNG format), or just push them
directly to it? I already pushed background images in PNG format but
later reading the wiki page related to Sources found that no binary
file should be uploaded to git.centos.org.

> - for rpm packages, like centos-logos or centos-indexhtml, you can
> (as sig-artwork lead) already push to specific branch, so you can
> already push with your user to c8-sig-artwork branch

That's exciting! There are some corrections I already would like to
share.

> From that point, you can ask PR (have to verify if one can open a PR
> against a specific branch, c8 in this case, as it *can't* be master)
> and Johnny can merge it, or just ask Johnny do it "manually" by "git
> checkout c8, git merge c8-sig-artwork, git push" :)
>
> Would that kind of framework work for you ?

Yes. I found impressive the way you are separating binary files from
plain-text files, to produce SRPMs right away, locally. It is a new way
of doing things to me and need to reorganize a bit what I have to adapt
it but that's just fine :)

> Also, adding other people to sig-artwork group would be great for
> this ;-)

Well, there is nothing I want more than this. Soon I have work
vacations and there are forces inside me pulling hard to update the
wiki so to better describe the process of producing artwork for CentOS
and hopefully help others to get involved. People don't have to be
experts, nor fine art professional (although that's fine if they do ;)
to propose artwork for CentOS, only have the intention of doing
something for it and share it.

> PS : thanks a *lot* for all the c8 artwork you've already worked on !
> Awesome job ! :-)

Thanks Fabian! It is motivating to hear your positive feedback. Also to
see how the work and effort driven inside the community is being
considered by community leaders. I am glad to see how our corporate
message is being honored:

   The CentOS Project strongly believes that the power of an open
   source project is in the community. If the community gets broken,
   the project loses its fundamental reason-for-being. Code alone does
   not make open source, and community is made through people treating
   each other with respect.

Best regards,
--
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera at gmail.com>