[CentOS-devel] Preliminary RHEL 8 review

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Thu May 9 21:10:24 UTC 2019

On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 15:54, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've noticed a few things that may help other people setting up test
> environments.
>
> 1) The RPMs on the installation media are split into two distinct
> repositories, "BaseOS" and "AppStream", for no reason I can discern.
> This means that if you try, like me, to mount a DVD image and use it
> as local yum repo for testing out kickstart setups and mock builds,
> you need to address the multiple necessary repositories with the new
> names.

So going from what was listed at Summit presentations:
 BaseOS is going to be packages which will not be updated majorly during
the lifetime of the release. Appstream is going to be packages which may
get updated often during the release. Something like Slow, Fast, Modules
would probably have been more intuitive for us gear-heads but for most tech
support probably not.

As you say, you will need to update kickstarts to add an additional
repository.

> 2) For Virtualbox, it absolutely needs more than 1 GB of RAM.With only
> 1 GB, it hands during hte firstboot setups.

I believe the recommended minimum is now 2GB. It can probably be done in
less if you know what you are doing.

> 3) Mock is going to be.... awkward to port, due to multiple python
> dependencies in on the DVD.

Do you mean with using the system-python or using a python module?

Stephen J Smoogen.