[CentOS-devel] RHEL 8, and potentially CentOS 8, lack "/usr/bin/python"

Mon May 13 12:40:49 UTC 2019
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Sun, 12 May 2019 at 05:53, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 5:02 AM Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/05/2019 04:45, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > > Good evening:
>
> If you are packaging software, you will need to decide if you wish to
> > build against python2, python3 or both (that's going to be fun) and
> > specify that explicitly. For example, we needed to patch the mock SPEC
> > file when porting the latest version of mock from fedora to RHEL8 to
> > explicitly specify python2 and/or python3.
>
> Yeah, I took a shot at building mock before I was pointed to
> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/11/14/python-in-rhel-8/, which
> is very useful indeed. I also went through a lot of this when I
> backported awscli to RHEL 6 over at
> https://github.com/nkadel/awsclirepo . I was just noticing this on
> RHEL 8 as I tried to port awscli.
>
> I'm sad to say that there are was also a confusing decision to rename
> some packages such as "platform-python-coverage" instead of the old
> name "python3-coverage", matching the python2-coverage which still
> exists. I've no idea why someone specifically chose to violate that
> naming convention, and it had to be a conscious choice.

A system may have 3 pythons on it , and each one will look in different
places for libraries

platform-python is a minimal python which is meant only for allowing system
packages to run. It will probably not see much updates over the life of
RHEL-8. This is based of off python-3.6
python2.7 which is the 2.7 version of python and I expect will have a
lifetime until RHEL-7 is end of lifed. At that point the module will
probably be ended.
python3.6 which is the 3.6 module and may later be end of lifed and
replaced with python-<major>.<minor> of upstreams choosing.

> > The good news is the errors are pretty obvious:
>
> Yeah, I've been running into this with RHEL 6 and CentOS 6 backports
> and on Fedora 30 where /usr/bin/python points to /usr/bin/python3. The
> errors are usually obvious, they just take time to fix and resolve. It
> *does* make me encourage the us of both "with_python2" and
> "with_python3" as options, so that which modules an SRPM is building
> can be explicit and help us migrate python2 packages to python3 in
> parallel, and safely.

The errors are mostly obvious. There are a bunch of packages which have
some /usr/bin/python embedded in it and may or may not be found during a
build . [I think in most cases it will be found and error out, but I think
I saw one where the python script was skipped and only showed up when I
used it to build something else.