[CentOS-devel] rpm2cpi and Mock on CentOS 7 and 8 cannot handle Fedora 31 SRPM's

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 23:18:12 UTC 2019

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 6:34 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 04:47:01PM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > Fedora 31 elected to use a new compression algorithm, "zstd", to
> > compress RPM's. The result of this unnecessary optimization is that
> > even commercially supported and long-term-support operating systems,
> > like RHEL 7 and 8, and CentOS 7 and 8, cannot deconstruct leading edge
> > Fedora SRPM's, especially the bleeding edge ones from rawhide.
>
> This is not the case.
>
> Fedora switched binary rpms to use zstd.
> src.rpms are still using xz? (or perhaps gzip, but definitely not zstd).

Source RPMs use gzip.

> Fedora src.rpms should unpack fine on el 6/7/8.

I think the concern was about binary RPMs. After all, Mock cannot
build Fedora build roots on any Enterprise Linux release now, at least
not until EL8.2 (if things go as currently planned). This means Koji
builders can't run on CentOS/RHEL to build for Fedora, since Koji
doesn't support any bootstrap mode (bootstrap chroot or bootstrap
container).