[CentOS-devel] C8 updates / CentOS-announce

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Tue Nov 5 22:06:05 UTC 2019

On 05/11/2019 20:41, Kevin Stange wrote:
> On 11/5/19 12:17 PM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:

>>> Can you provide some details as to how this is managed and generated?
>>> Is there an entry limit, or how long will package updates appear in
>>> these feeds?  Is it possible to continue to provide a link to the
>>> upstream errata notification or at least provide a matching ID number?
>>>
>>> The way this looks right now this will actually be more difficult to
>>> work with than just scraping the mailing list has been for CentOS 6 and
>>> 7.  It's nice seeing the RPM %changelog in the description, but
>>> everything else is worse from my perspective.
>>>

>> No secret sauce for the rss feeds , just repo-rss from yum-utils that is
>> ran against repositories :)
>> So a little bit of jinja2 in the ansible role and it's done :
>> https://github.com/CentOS/ansible-role-httpd-feeds/blob/master/templates/rss-generator.j2#L10
>>
>> We can easily bump the number of entries that repo-rss would generate if
>> that helps ?
>
> I'm not sure it really helps unless there is no limit because in some
> cases a single SRPM will produce more than 20 distinct packages and then
> you won't even get the full update history if you're polling constantly.
>  CentOS often releases several updates at once, and it's not uncommon to
> see 50+ distinct RPMs released within a few hours.
>
> I don't understand the goal of this replacing the mailing list posts
> with this.  It means we no longer have any persistent notification or
> metadata for updates unless we watch the actual repos or build systems
> directly.  This feels like a huge regression from what we have been
> getting for CentOS 7 and older.

Nobody ever said it was a replacement ;-)
https://feeds.centos.org is there for quite some time, so even before 8
was even just a concept :)
I think that Johnny said he can't at this stage find a way to send
relevant informations through mails .. but if someone can come with a
solution, I'm sure he'll be happy to consider and plumb such solution in
his release plan.

> If you provided a persistent updateinfo.xml in the repos instead of
> sending the emails that would at least be equivalent coverage (and
> community members have been asking for this for ~10 years), but this
> strange RSS thing isn't getting us close to either that or what we had
> before.

Different thread, updateinfo.xml itself is something different, but I'll
let someone like Jim explain why we don't provide it.

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab