[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 Live ISO?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 19:00:03 UTC 2019

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 at 07:29, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:

> On 09/11/2019 00:07, Fredrik Mikker wrote:
> > Good evening,
> >
> > I'm looking for at CentOS 8 Live ISO, but I fail to find one. Is there
> > anyone that can point me in the right direction?
> >

> They were not created due to lack of free time.
> I tried quickly with livecd-tools but it failed to even build an image
> and I had no more time to investigate.
> I then tried with lorax/livemedia-creator and was able to get one image
> that was working in live environment, but was trac'ing back during
> "liveinst" stage, so it wasn't even able to get installed. so same thing
> : had no time to investigate further.
>
> So in summary : nobody came with a "hey, here is what needs to be
> fixed/patched and here is a PR", so we initially thought that in fact
> nobody was interested into Live ISOs anymore.
>
> PS : last week, someone from CERN, Ben, said that he was working on this
> and he said he found what would be needed to "hot-patch" anaconda for
> it. He said he'd come with a PR for this, after a small discussion on
> irc in #centos-devel ... nothing (yet) received but maybe later, I'll
> let him comment on this

Yeah, I have been working on it in my spare time and it is not
'simple' for multiple reasons. Like Fabian I can make a 'simple' Live
CDROM which takes 500 MB (1700 uncompressed) but not installable. I
have tried a couple of other items but it looks like I need to dig
into pungi to set up various things that livemedia-creator needs to
add it together.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.