[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 Live ISO?

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sat Nov 9 19:46:06 UTC 2019

On 11/9/19 9:15 PM, Trevor Hemsley via CentOS-devel wrote:
> On 09/11/2019 19:00, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 at 07:29, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:
>>> Yeah, I have been working on it in my spare time and it is not
>>> 'simple' for multiple reasons. Like Fabian I can make a 'simple' Live
>>> CDROM which takes 500 MB (1700 uncompressed) but not installable. I
>>> have tried a couple of other items but it looks like I need to dig
>>> into pungi to set up various things that livemedia-creator needs to
>>> add it together.
> Personally, the fact that it's not installable sounds like a win to me. Having dealt with all the problem reports on the forums and IRC channels, having something where you cannot bypass the proper installer sounds like a Good Thing (TM). Can we not remove the "Install" option completely and then what you have sounds ideal!

As someone who did test live distros and resorted to "just install"
after being satisfied , I think that  the "install" button is useful.
Now... if that means "switch to the stock installer" or "dump the
content of removable media (1)  to fixed media (2)" might be open for
debate. But not needing to download and write to USB/DVD yet another iso
is a win, from my point of view. As long as it actually works.

As a side note wrt the simple CDROM taking 500 MB: pretty please, stop
caring  if the images fit on a CD (that is, if you still do that ). I do
not even remember when was the last time I wrote an iso to a CD-R as
opposed to DVD-R. Everybody uses USB sticks nowadays and it's damn hard
to find one smaller than 2 GB

(1) where removable media is in {CD, DVD, USB stick}

(2) where fixed media is in {USB stick, HDD, nvme, etc}

     wolfy