[CentOS-devel] CPE Weekly: 2019-11-16

Aoife Moloney

amoloney at redhat.com
Sat Nov 16 14:42:40 UTC 2019

Hi Everyone!

Travelling yesterday saw a delay in sending this weeks CPE email
blast, but nevertheless, here it is!

Hope everyone has been having a great weekend and if you have any
comments or feedback, please let me know- it is always welcome :)

Background:

The Community Platform Engineering group is the Red Hat team combining
IT and release engineering from Fedora and CentOS. Our goal is to keep
core servers and services running and maintained, build releases, and
other strategic tasks that need more dedicated time than volunteers
can give.

For better communication, we will be giving weekly reports to the
CentOS and Fedora communities about the general tasks and work being
done.  Also for better communication between our groups we have
created #redhat-cpe on Freenode IRC! Please feel free to catch us
there, a mail has landed on both the CentOS and Fedora devel lists
with context here.

Note:

This document is currently built from individual reports rolled into a
google document which we edit and copy into a final document. We are
aware that this causes problems with some email readers, and are
working on a method to make this less problematic.

High Level Project Updates:

CentOS:
The team is busy working on 8.1
Comps were produced and in git repo for next compose (pungi)
Transmodrify tool rewritten to match the mbs/rpm needs
Analyzing what RH hasn’t pushed and so that is needed
Builds started and are being worked on for x86_64, ppc64le, aarch64
and armhfp architectures
https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/index
https://koji.armhfp-mbox.centos.org/koji/index

Infrastructure :
Dealing with hardware issues on storage box , so opening tickets with
the vendor and internal IT to play MITM and try to get this solved

Dealing with RCM having still issues to push to git.centos.org for
some identified packages (reproducible) so now waiting on Repospanner
maintainer to come with a fix and an ETA for new release that would
fix it

Trying to provision some EC2 instances and working with Fedora to get
proper access to be able to have proper AWS access for CentOS (also
for S3)

Working on various PR for cbs-content-control and/or issues  with mash
on https://cbs.centos.org (now resolved)

Fedora:

Rawhide Gating:
Bodhi 5.0 has been deployed in production
We received some feedback about the changes in the UI and are looking
at how we can address them.
We are working on documenting on how packagers will use Bodhi for
multi-builds updates in rawhide:
https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/issues/2322
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=User:Nphilipp/Package_update_HOWTO#Rawhide_and_early_Branched

A 5.1 release is scheduled, likely some time next week, to address
some of the issues encountered and fixed in the 5.0 release.

repoSpanner
Our team came across some test reliability issues last week & these
are impeding progress on the 83x patch.
Some more debugging/discussions around RCMs pushes that seem to be
either very slow or hanging but the team is looking into some
solutions
Some progress was also made on the 83x patch however and we managed to
fix one unreliable test.

Application Retirements

Elections
Blocking issue was fixed (https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/8253)

Fedocal
jlanda hitting permission error in communishift
https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/8274

Nuancier
Benson Muite is now working on OIDC authentication

Pastebin
An article will be posted to Magazine instead - keep an eye out!

GDPR policies are still being looked into so stay tuned for updates
soon. This unfortunately takes some time given the legal perspective
needed!

Misc

EPEL 8 modularity
EPEL8 module builds are working in staging & composes should be closed
There are now tags added to staging in koji
Bodhi configs have been updated
Pungi configs for epel8-playground are updated
Bug about zchunk update for EPEL-7 was fixed
https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/pull/3692

Fedora Docs
Multiple small PRs were merged where people were being sent to Fedora
docs after F31 came out & below are all fixed:
https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/system-administrators-guide/issue/40
https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/system-administrators-guide/issue/39
https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/system-administrators-guide/issue/35
https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/install-guide/issue/33