[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 Live ISO?

Fredrik Mikker

fredrik at mikker.se
Sat Nov 9 21:11:08 UTC 2019

On 2019-11-09 13:29, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 09/11/2019 00:07, Fredrik Mikker wrote:
>> Good evening,
>>
>> I'm looking for at CentOS 8 Live ISO, but I fail to find one. Is there
>> anyone that can point me in the right direction?
>>
> They were not created due to lack of free time.
> I tried quickly with livecd-tools but it failed to even build an image
> and I had no more time to investigate.
> I then tried with lorax/livemedia-creator and was able to get one image
> that was working in live environment, but was trac'ing back during
> "liveinst" stage, so it wasn't even able to get installed. so same thing
> : had no time to investigate further.
>
> So in summary : nobody came with a "hey, here is what needs to be
> fixed/patched and here is a PR", so we initially thought that in fact
> nobody was interested into Live ISOs anymore.
>
> PS : last week, someone from CERN, Ben, said that he was working on this
> and he said he found what would be needed to "hot-patch" anaconda for
> it. He said he'd come with a PR for this, after a small discussion on
> irc in #centos-devel ... nothing (yet) received but maybe later, I'll
> let him comment on this

Hi,

so It's the usual suspect; time. I'm familiar with that old chap. :)

If anyone is interested in why I want a Live-media is that I'm planning
on installing ZFS as the root filesystem[1] on Centos 8, and for that I
need the aforementioned media type.

And maybe make a PR of a updated documentation for CentOS 8 on the way
in the ZFS project.

[1]:
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-EL7-(CentOS-RHEL)-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem

--