[CentOS-devel] Unshipped -devel packages in CentOS Linux

Thu Nov 7 01:01:23 UTC 2019
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 at 15:01, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org> wrote:

> On 06/11/2019 18:44, Pablo Sebastián Greco wrote:
> >
> > El 6/11/19 a las 14:35, Brian Stinson escribió:
> >> I'd also like to discuss how we populate this repo/module. It would be
> >> easiest to just dump every unshipped package in and move on, but that
> >> doesn't help us track which of these packages are truly important
> >> outside of building the distro.  Shipping*everything*  also represents a
> >> larger content set to manage if lifecycle issues come up in the future.
> >> An alternative would be to store this definition in git (we'll need to
> >> do that anyways), and allow folks to make pull requests to include new
> >> content, shipping this as a separate repo would let us spin updates on
> >> demand.
> >
> > I would love to see *Everything*, but it could be problematic with
> > modules like python36 (blacklisting all the python2 rpms) and python27
> > (blacklisting all the python3 rpms)
> >

> we've got precidence here in the addons repo that was shipped in past
> versions, where content built but not shipped clearly upstream was
> avaialble.
>
> at the very least, content coming from srpms that have a corrosponding
> binary in the other 3 repos should ship by default.
>
> how much content are we talking about that comes from srpms that dont
> have a single component that ships in the main 3 repos ?
>
> Also, i would leave this repo enabled. there isnt anything conflicting
> with the distro rpms here is there ?

Actually there will be. Because a module blacklists things and does
not want those unshipped items installed while it is installed. You
thus have to create a full module which contains all the previous
content and the previously blacklisted content.

So let us say the python27 module ships python27-foo but does not ship
python27-foo-devel. You need to create a new module with all of
python27, python27-foo so you can have python27-foo-devel. [This is
because the Name-EpochVersionRelease between the python27-foo and
python27-foo-devel need to match to install.. and modular builds get
unique names.

You can't have a seperate module with just python27-foo-devel in it
because the first module has a filter which will 'conflict' at the
modular level. This means this addon repo will have to have a
'conflicting' python27.

[Because any update within a module means a complete new module build,
you are either going to respin this BatteriesNotIncluded repo for
every update, or just updating say a Python27 or a Python36 or a
FreeIPA etc submodule.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.