[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 Artwork needed

Fri Nov 8 01:40:21 UTC 2019
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera at gmail.com>

On Thu, 2019-11-07 at 22:38 +0200, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> I wanted to share a PDF with three ideas as a starting point, so we
> can share our thoughts. (attached)

Nice work Tuomas :)

From all three, I'd go with the one adding the "Stream" word (or "Linux
7", "Linux 8", etc.) bellow the logo we already know. In this one, the
size of "Stream" word may need adjustments and tests with different
typefaces but the elements in the layout reads fast and looks to have
high visual impact.

The one adding the word "Stream" on the right makes the visual reading
area too large, in contrast with the one adding it below, which is
smaller and compact. In my visual perspective, adding the word on the
right side of the logo makes its visual interpretation slower than the
first one with the word bellow, so provides less visual impact.
However, it may be valid for some cases (e.g., web headers small in
height but large in width).

The one remarking the word on the right presents the same visual issue
than before, too large to visually cover it all in a quick glance.
Additionally, the lack of CentOS Symbol on its left reduces the visual
recognition of CentOS branding.

The one braking the CentOS symbol may create visual confusion about the
CentOS brand. I my humble opinion, the CentOS symbol must not be broken
in pieces. However I am very much agree it needs to evolve into
something more simple, able to be reproduced in different visual
manifestations, with less colors to meet present needs.

As a side note, remember we have
https://git.centos.org/centos/Artwork/blob/c8/f/brands to organize
brands. It may be a better place to share artwork (in SVG format
preferably) that the mailing list that is limited in size. We also have
https://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Brand/ to organize concepts and share
artwork as well.

Best regards,
--