[CentOS-devel] CentOS stream meeting - update

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Wed Oct 9 12:44:13 UTC 2019

On 10/9/19 8:19 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 12:57 PM Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:

>>> Great!  Was this a public or invite-only meeting? (I didn't see anything in my mail archives announcing it.)
>>>

>> This meeting was an internal RH meeting to sort out some of the
>> internal-to-redhat pieces, but we're working from a policy of being as
>> open and transparent about it as possible.
>
> Then we already have something to be worried about. The meeting wasn't
> open, wasn't announced to the public, and the attendees and content of
> the meeting is unavailable to the public. Not a good start to a
> "transparent as possible" process.

Quite the opposite actually. Most of this meeting dealt with internal
policy, which is something companies don't realistically share. Rich's
email covered it well.

> This implies that development of new features or backported features
> for RHEL 8 will end as soon as RHEL 9 is released. That is.... likely
> to be a problem.

It implies that RH would like the community to focus on the latest
release rather than previous iterations, nothing more nefarious than that.

>>> I look forward to the further details as they become available.
>>

>> We'll be open about what we're working on, but I do want to point out
>> that for some of this will only be "we're sorting out internal RH
>> policy" or whatever.
>
> We just saw this sort of thing play out with the release of the
> python3 for RHEL 7.7. It would have been nice to see those in a
> "Stream" channel, if this is going to be the way major features get
> rolled out.

This is the sort of thing you could expect from Stream, yes.

--
Jim Perrin