[CentOS-devel] 3rd party Desktop apps for CentOS 8

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Tue Oct 22 07:08:21 UTC 2019

On 22/10/2019 08:59, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Last week I read that Nux des not have time to build Nux-Dextop repo for
> CentOS 8.
>
> Is there anyone with time to prepare and recompile apps/packages that
> will be missing from other repositories?
>
> Earlier I've joined Fedora Project to add some Fedora packages to EPEL
> but have stop there confused how to procede, it need investigating what
> I am allowed to do and how.
>
> Other option I considered is to add el8 to my old repository I created,
> but considering hardly enyone used it, that will not solve general
> public. When I get time and stabe internet (once again) I might
> replicate Nux-Dextop packages for EL7 to EL8 so I have them for my own
> laptop.
>
> So are there any other options?

I guess it depends on what you need ?
Epel still has some pkgs that  will (slowly) land I guess, and for
everything that can't enter Epel (like codecs, etc), rpmfusion has
probably already it (or in -testing)

For the rest, I did myself what some people are doing those days :
building/testing through copr : I had to create one as I quickly need
some pkgs on my centos 8 laptop (see
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/arrfab/not-in-epel8/packages/ ,
but warning : "here are dragons" :-) )

--