[CentOS-devel] CentOS stream meeting - update

James Cassell

fedoraproject at cyberpear.com
Tue Oct 8 15:46:47 UTC 2019

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019, at 11:37 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Last week a group of Red Hat engineers, management, and members of the
> CentOS and Fedora communities, met at the Red Hat office in Boston to
> discuss how to implement CentOS Stream and formally kick-off the
> project, which, as you are aware, was announced the week before. Many
> details that were omitted in the original announcement were debated, and
> we came to an agreement on much, but not all, of these things.

Great!  Was this a public or invite-only meeting? (I didn't see anything in my mail archives announcing it.)

> First of all, I want to ask that you be patient with us. Changing the
> way that the hundreds of people on the RHEL team do their work is going
> to take time. Developing the tooling to make everything work perfectly,
> and in an automated fashion, is also going to take time. And some of the
> things that were proposed to the Board will end up changing, based on
> what doesn’t work, and on the feedback from you, the CentOS community,
> as well as Red Hat’s customers and partners.
>
> A central point of discussion was ensuring transparency. We want to move
> the RHEL development more into the public, and CentOS Stream is the
> cornerstone of that.
>
> CentOS Stream will be a rolling preview of what is happening in RHEL
> development. This will allow you to experiment with the next version
> before it releases, and ensure that what you are working on will work,
> day one, when the next minor release of RHEL is announced.

The increased transparency is greatly appreciated and is especially reassuring in light of the IBM acquisition.

> SIGs, too, will be able to build and test against this preview, so that
> when the next minor release comes out, there will be no surprises.
>
> We are working on a FAQ to answer what we anticipate will be at the top
> of everyone’s mind, but I’ll address a few questions that we’re already
> receiving.
>
> Q: How many streams will there be? Will there be a stream for 8 and
> another for 9?
> A: When the development for RHEL 9 begins, the stream for 8 will end. We
> plan to have a one-year overlap, to allow for transition from one stream
> to the other. But we do not intend to keep the 8 Stream going for the
> entirety of the RHEL 8 support window.
>
> Q: How can I contribute changes?
> A: This is still being worked on, and we ask for your patience as we
> work towards this. This is indeed a goal, but getting the stream itself
> working perfectly must happen first. Meanwhile, we’re working with the
> RHEL engineering team on a process where contributions from the
> community can be considered as part of their regular development
> workflow. The last thing we want is to set an expectation that we cannot
> meet, so we want to ensure that we have a workable process before we
> start asking you for contributions.
>
> We encourage your further questions, and look forward to figuring out
> with you how to make CentOS Stream successful for all constituents.

I look forward to the further details as they become available.

V/r,
James Cassell