[CentOS-devel] koji / devel / packages

Jim Perrin

jperrin at centos.org
Fri Oct 18 16:48:12 UTC 2019

On 10/17/19 3:39 PM, Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel wrote:
> Just wondering; are the output files of the koji system no more
> accessible? I remember asking for some devel packages
>
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2019-May/017417.html
>
> and at that time I could download the rpm files. Why this
> "administrative rules" now? Any reasons for that?
>
> And in general; a lot of devel packages are missing. Whats the policy
> for that? Can we see these rpms in the PowerTools or Extras repos?

A couple reasons for this. Just because things build doesn't mean
they're ready. We sometimes need to iterate builds, and having people
pulling packages direct from the build system makes supporting this
challenging, especially if they have a matching NVR build that's not the
right one. The packages may or may not be signed yet, depending on when
someone tries to pull from koji. We'd prefer people wait for the actual
release when we're sure everything is right. Lastly, the builders aren't
on mirrored systems, so there's a bandwidth cost from people attempting
to pull directly. The administrative block solves all 3 of these issues.

As for shipping the devel packages: I believe bstinson has a plan for
that as a separate repo in the future, but this won't work for -devel
packages which belong to modules and are filtered as part of that
module's metadata.

--
Jim Perrin