[CentOS-devel] RPM Fusion project availability for CentOS 8

Tue Oct 22 08:45:38 UTC 2019
Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com>

Hi there,

Just want to inform (since this was raised on this ml recently) that
RPM Fusion project is available for CentOS8 (1) since few months
already.

You can configure it with:
sudo dnf install --nogpgcheck
https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-8.noarch.rpm
sudo dnf install --nogpgcheck
https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/rpmfusion-free-release-8.noarch.rpm
https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-8.noarch.rpm
sudo dnf config-manager --enable PowerTools
Others optional steps in https://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

For those who don't know the project, here are useful links:
https://rpmfusion.org/FAQ
https://rpmfusion.org/ReportingBugs
https://rpmfusion.org/Contribute
https://twitter.com/rpmfusion_team

You can also browse the content: (vlc, mpv, Handbrake, etc)
- Free section (FLOSS components that cannot be redistributed by Red Hat).:
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/updates/8/x86_64/repoview/index.html
- Nonfree section (as in freedom, understand proprietary software).
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/updates/8/x86_64/repoview/index.html

Basically we are a (more than 10 years old) Community based project to
complement Fedora, RHEL, CentOS and others with software that cannot
be redistributed there for various reasons.
We are the 3rd part repository of choice for Fedora and hopefully RHEL, CentOS.
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/setup_rpmfusion/

We have a very strict policy not to replace any upstream package, so
it's safe to use, but you need to beware of conflicting repositories.

As this mailing list is concerned, I wish the description of the
project could be updated  in the CentOS wiki to reflect the current
shape of the project.

Thx in advance.

(1) Available on x86_64, aarch64, ppc64le architectures.

--
-

Nicolas (kwizart)