[CentOS-devel] CentOS stream meeting - update

Wed Oct 9 13:02:11 UTC 2019
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 10/9/19 3:12 AM, Thomas Oulevey wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> On 10/8/19 6:17 PM, Paul Graydon wrote:
>> I'm somewhat surprised by the plan to stop the 8 Stream, once the 9
>> Stream starts up.  Even once the work on a future major version
>> starts, there are still minor releases happening on the released
>> version, which come with noteworthy changes and updates, e.g. 7.7 just
>> got released a few months back, when the 8 beta was out. 7.7 included
>> numerous changes and new features, drivers and improvements
>> (https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/7.7_release_notes/new_features).
>> I'm guessing that development for RedHat 8 has been more than a year
>> in the works!
>
> To echo this concern as well. I am a bit surprise that if CentOS Stream
> becomes upstream, it will be stopped before the end of the release cycle.
>
> However maybe it make sense to align to the RHEL lifecycle [1], and
> decide that CentOS don't do Stream for "Maintenace Support 2" and
> beyond, where new functionalities and updates are limited.

This concern has come up elsewhere as well. It might help to frame this
as an experiment. Right now, RH isn't really sure how this will work, so
we need to build it, and begin getting metrics around usage, feedback
and community involvement. That will help shape what happens in the future.

> The most important question is for CentOS 8. What happens when CentOS
> Stream "8" switch to upstream "9" ?
> Business as usual and we continue to rebuild all updates from
> git.centos.org ?
>
> It is very important to clarify this point, as it will shape how we can
> use CentOS for the future.

There are no changes to CentOS Linux as a part of the Stream release.
Could you please clarify your concern here to help me understand it better?

--
Jim Perrin