[CentOS-devel] CBS and SIGs consuming CentOS 8 / Stream

Wed Oct 9 16:08:50 UTC 2019
Mike McLean <mikem at imponderable.org>

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 12:13 PM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 11:07, Thomas Oulevey <thomas.oulevey at cern.ch>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Folks,

> > > is this plan discussed on Mondays CBS meetings?
> > > I don't see it logged in
> https://www.centos.org/minutes/2019/September/
> >
> > We didn't manage to have a meeting on Monday.

> out
> >
> > I'll try to give a summary of my investigation. I'll decouple two
> > problems : the koji upgrade and having a working CentOS 8
> > target/buildroot in cbs.centos.org with CentOS 7 builders.
> >
> > 1/ koji upgrade
> >
> > The first step is to upgrade our version of koji to match the version
> > mbox uses. At the same time we move away from puppet to ansible (thanks
> > Arrfab for all the work! [1] & [2]) and upgrade the base operating
> > system from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7.
> >
> > At the same time the builders (where mock runs) need to run specific
> > version of certain tools for C8 buildroots :
> >
> > distribution-gpg-keys.noarch       1.21-1.el7
> > kernel.x86_64                      4.19.34-300.el7
> >
> > mock.noarch                        1.3.4-1.el7_build.rhel8
> > python-perf.x86_64                 4.19.34-300.el7
> > python2-distro.noarch              1.0.3-1.el7.rhel8

> > more test to validate that the previous mentioned RPM updates don't
> > break anything for C6 & C7 targets.
> > Next step is to announce a downtime and execute the upgrade plan.
> >
> > 2/ CentOS 8 buildroot
> >
> > When 1/ is done we can create an C8 buildroot without enabling the
> > Appstream repo.
> >
> > Due to the nature of Appstream, and how koji uses mergerepo
> > (--koji)/updaterepo/mock, more work is needed to get a working buildroot.
> >

> So the mergerepo process is how koji pulls packages in from external
> repos. It has 2 major methods (simple and bare?) which are used to
> determine what is going to be 'merged' into what the builder mock can
> see. Simple mode is the default and koji will usually pick something
> it built over something it didn't (which is why if an EPEL package is
> built with the same name it may trump a RHEL package with a bigger
> EVR). This works ok for non-modular repositories but modules are
> 'virtual' repositories.. so you need extra data to say that repo1 is
> chosen over repo2. koji simple just sees one large repo and says ok
> there are 2 perl-CGI with the same NEV? choose one whether it works or
> not.

Koji has _three_ modes for merging external repos: koji (the default),
simple, and bare.

The original Koji method tries to make repo merging behave more like Koji
inheritance. It groups the external rpms by srpm name and performs the
merge at that level, either taking or omitting each entire build. This is
done with the --koji option to mergerepos. It also does things like honor
koji's block list, prioritizes internal koji builds over external ones, and
gives priority to earlier external repos in the list. It also writes a
pkgorigins file so that Koji can figure out which repo the rpms originally
came from.

The simple mode was added last year and as the name implies does much less.
It honors Koji's block list and creates a pkgorigins file. Other than that,
it's pretty much just a straight mergerepo.

The bare mode is actually even simpler. It performs /usr/bin/mergerepo_c
--pkgorigins --all. So it writes pkgorigins, but does not honor the block
list.

> bare mode adds some sophistication in that it asks dnf to choose what
> packages it will pull into the build root. This sort of fixes some
> items but adds others in that dnf doesn't also know which module you
> wanted so it can sometimes skip one or something else.

Bare mode is not sophisticated. It is simpler than simple mode.

Bare mode was added for modularity, because they needed much more
flexibility in their external repo content. The real work for modularity is
passed on to mergerepo_c, which is expected to be module aware (Koji itself
is not).

Side note: none of this is optimal. MBS was developed outside of Koji and
very few Koji changes were made to enable it. Better Koji/MBS integration
will come eventually.