[CentOS-devel] Enable RDO for LinuxONE

Fri Oct 11 16:24:05 UTC 2019
Alfredo Moralejo Alonso <amoralej at redhat.com>

Hello,

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 6:39 AM Shi Lin Huang <shilinh at cn.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm working on OpenStack development and testing, mainly focus on LinuxONE
> cloud. LinuxONE platform is s390x architecture,
> Redhat/SuSE/Ubuntu/Fedora/Debian and many other Linux distributions can run
> on LinuxONE. You can get more information about LinuxONE from bottome [1].
> From OpenStack perspective, Ubuntu and SuSE and some other
> distributions(such as ClefOS) provide LinuxONE arthitecture packages,
> people can build their cloud with those packages, you can get more
> information from [2] and [3] and [4]. We know that CentOS/Redhat/Fedora
> have many fans, many many people build their OpenStack cloud based on
> CentOS/Redhat.

Happy to hear that.

> So, we are wondering is it possiable to enable RDO for LinuxONE? E.g,
> follow RDO community process etc. to build s390x architecture RDO packages,
> and build other toolset etc., and run testing. And of course, we want
> contribute to RDO community, make it easier for more people to use RDO on
> LinuxONE. We have started to try building OpenStack packages and dependency
> packages from RDO source RPM files. Those build now are running in RHEL 7.x
> systems on LinuxONE.

If your goal is to be able to install RDO on s390x hardware I'd recommend
you  to first go on with building the required dependencies using RDO (or
othe SIGs as you'll probably need things out of RDO scope) SRPMs on RHEL.
>From RDO side, we are glad to help and you can share any issue you may have
in #rdo channel in freenode and we'll do our best to assist you. Also, the
vast majority of OpenStack packages in our RDO Trunk repos (
https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-master/current) are noarch so you can
probably use them as-is without any rebuild process, so it could be a good
starting point.

So far RDO processes are mainly based on CentOS infrastructure and tools
which currently do not support s390x.

> As we are very new to RDO community, we have some questions need community
> help:
> 1. We don't know is there any RDO guide line if we want to add a new RDO
> architecture build?

There is no such guide. Adding a new architecture to RDO is an infrequent
event and we manage one-by-one.

> 2. There is no CentOS for s390x now, can we build RDO packages on RHEL?

You should be able to use SRPMs to rebuild them on RHEL and create your own
repo.  To build them using CentOS processes and get them in official repos,
I'd say the first step would be to work with the CentOS core team to add
s390x as a supported architecture in CentOS Community build system.

> 3. Seems there is no RDO packages for CentOS 8/RHEL 8 yet. Should we start
> with RDO for CentOS 7/RHEL 7?

it depends on your timelines. We plan to switch to CentOS8 during the just
started OpenStack Ussuri cycle but we need first to get Community Buildsys
system ready for CentOS8 and then we'll need to rebuild all dependencies
and get other SIGs builds ready for it. It'll take some time. You have some
details about the plan to switch to CentOS8 in
https://review.rdoproject.org/etherpad/p/moving-rdo-to-centos8 .

> Thank you everyone in advance.

Best regards,

Alfredo