[CentOS-devel] Reasoning behind RHEL8 packages without corresponding -devel?

Sat Oct 19 14:28:00 UTC 2019
Kaleb Keithley <kkeithle at redhat.com>

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 9:27 AM Scott Dowdle <dowdle at montanalinux.org>
wrote:

> . what has been missing here is the "reason" (some of) the devel packages
> aren't being released.

This question was answered earlier in this thread (by me even), so I'm a
bit confused why you say the reason is missing.

In the case of libbluray-devel, it's because Red Hat only uses a very small
piece of that library, and doesn't want to have to support the whole
library, including being liable for CVEs and other bugs in the parts of the
library it doesn't use.

I don't know why libXvMC-devel wasn't released originally. As they appear
to have decided to go ahead and release it, apparently wasn't for the same
reason as libbluray-devel.

the src.rpm is available. Build it for yourself if Red Hat and CentOS
aren't providing what you want. As a maintainer of packages in the CentOS
Storage SIG, even I have to build and provide packages in the SIG that Red
Hat and CentOS don't provide, e.g. userspace-rcu.. (They're in EPEL, but
currently CBS doesn't/can't use EPEL.)  I don't understand why people have
so much trouble with this.

--

Kaleb