[CentOS-devel] Missing virt-devel module in CentOS 8

Mon Oct 21 00:34:16 UTC 2019
Brian Stinson <brian at bstinson.com>

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019, at 16:19, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 10/18/19 9:05 PM, centos-devel at centos.org wrote:
> > The virt-devel module appears to be missing from CentOS 8. I filed
> > https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=16492 but haven't had any response,
> > so I figured I would try here as well. Can anyone clue me in to what's
> > up? Thanks!
This has not gone unnoticed, it's part of our huge backlog of items that we're still working on after the release.

virt-devel is a special case of a special case and requires carefully curated compose configs to force it to go into CentOS-PowerTools. I haven't yet found why these configs aren't working for us.

> I'll also note that while https://git.centos.org/modules/virt appears to
> be present, virt-devel does not. I'm also confused by the branches there:
>
> c8-beta-stream-rhel

^ This is the source for the virt:rhel stream in RHEL 8.1 Beta, we (CentOS) do not build from these branches

> c8-sig-altarch-stream-rhel

^ This is the source for the virt:rhel stream for the alternative architectures (currently armhfp needs to do a bunch of patch work to get this module to a shippable state)

> c8-stream-rhel

^ This is the branch that we ship in CentOS Linux 8 and CentOS Stream