[CentOS-devel] CBS and SIGs consuming CentOS 8 / Stream

Tue Oct 29 10:24:10 UTC 2019
Thomas Oulevey <thomas.oulevey at cern.ch>

Hi Folks,

Let me give you an update after this week upgrade.

> I'll try to give a summary of my investigation. I'll decouple two
> problems : the koji upgrade and having a working CentOS 8
> target/buildroot in cbs.centos.org with CentOS 7 builders.
>
> 1/ koji upgrade

Koji upgrade has been done and we didn't detect any major issues. We
upgraded all build service components to use CentOS 7 and additional
packages needed for CentOS 8 buildroots have been installed.

Please report bugs at https://bugs.centos.org if you find issues.

> 2/ CentOS 8 buildroot

As now 1/ is finished we finally have a plan for C8 buildroot in the
Community build service.

Brian will generate, in next days, two 'compose' (C8 and C8 Stream)
from https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/ and we will declare it as an
external repo in CBS.

We will validate that those 'compose' allow use to build (most of) SIG
package in our test instance and then deploy it to the production one.

Please note that the 'compose' will be (automagically) regenerated on
every new updates. On the koji side we will detect those changes and
regenerate all affected buildroot tags when there is an update.

In term of impact, we may have to reconfigure some option on the koji
side, but it will likely be transparent. We hope to have a working
solution in the next two weeks.

I'd like now discuss few additional points.

3/ Namespace for C8 and C8 Stream

Koji allow to have a single NVR for each build, you cannot rebuild a NVR
that exist. So to be able to build in parallel for C8 and C8 Stream the
same package we will need to use a different disttag.

The proposal is to use ".el8" and ".el8s".

At this point SIGs will have to submit twice the builds to koji, I hope
we can automate further this step with a better centos-packager in the
beginning of 2020.

Let us know if you have some feedback.

4/ Building from GIT

During the previous upgrade we deployed the changes needed to be able to
build from git.centos.org for SIGs (mbox allowed it already). We still
have to do some validation but expect this feature to be available soon
as well. We will document the process in the wiki when we have a working
PoC.

Thanks for reading and let us know if you have questions,
--
Thomas 'alphacc' Oulevey