[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8/7.7

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Tue Sep 10 16:42:27 UTC 2019

On 10/09/2019 17:01, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 3:47 PM Akshay Kumar <akshayk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Barring that, it might help for
>>> you think of it like this: when developers go silent, it simply means
>>> they're busy working...
>>

>> See this is where you guys start losing everyone. That is just a silly statement and pisses people off. You see people from the project tweeting left and right and not answering actual questions about release timelines. Then someone comes along and says something that is total and absolute crap.
>
> I don't think there's a need to escalate this.  It is absolutely
> natural for developers to think, "Can't they trust me when I tell them
> that I'm still working on it?"
>
> I do agree with you, though, that it is absolutely *unnatural* for
> users to think, "I haven't heard a thing for 6 weeks, I guess they're
> just busy working really hard."  It would help users immensely if
> someone who knew where things stood could at least give a brief update
> every week or two, saying that work is still ongoing, and at least
> giving a brief summary about why it's taking so long (along the lines
> of Ladar Levison's email about the installer).
>
>  -George

To give you an example - OpenStack currently has CentOS as a base
OS[1] for deciding the python versions we are testing for each release.

For our upcoming release, we want to drop python2.7 (for obvious
reasons), but if we are going to keep CentOS 7 as a base OS, we can't.

Having some idea of a timescale would allow us to choose to leave it as
a base OS (if the expected date is before the start of the new
development cycle), or drop it (if it is after).

With the current lack of any communication (and the wiki showing that
work for release is "Not started"), we have to consider the removal.

I know the last thing developers need is someone else asking for
timelines, but some outward communications would help people like
us to make informed choices.

1 -
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/project-testing-interface.html#linux-distributions