[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8/7.7

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Sep 10 22:12:32 UTC 2019

On 9/10/19 4:51 PM, Akshay Kumar wrote:
> One more thing I'd like to add is that there are a lot of people who can
> contribute more help and resources beyond just testing. So right now is
> probably not a good time but after the release perhaps it make sense to
> see if more people can contribute. I can't speak for anyone else but I
> definitely have some bandwidth and maintained an internal build for
> RHEL3 bootstrapped from src on RH9 and then 4. Then we moved to CentOS.

Thanks for the offer.  Building the packages does not take that long.
If you look, we built the almost all the packages for 7.7,1908, for
example, most of the packages were built by August 9th.  Then we need to
test things.  Test all the links to validate that things were built in
the correct order.  Boot some items that don't build (like qt5-* and
pytonh3-*).  Then rebuild all of the things that didn't work.

The testing .. rebuilding .. testing , rebuilding is the majority of the
time required.

We also have 7 architectures (x86_64, i386, armhfp, aarch64, ppc64,
ppc64le and power9).  So we have to test all of those .. fix issues ..
test again, etc.

I have been building most of the CentOS releases for the the last 17
years. I know how to do it .. it just takes time to get it right.

But again, thanks for the offer.

And we can likely use some more help on the QA team.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

<snip>