[CentOS-devel] Reasoning behind RHEL8 packages without corresponding -devel?

Kaleb Keithley

kkeithle at redhat.com
Tue Sep 3 12:41:23 UTC 2019

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 4:57 AM Xavier Bachelot <xavier at bachelot.org> wrote:

> I'd be genuinely interested if anyone with access to this bug can give a
> quick summary of the reasons.

It boils down to only gvfs uses it. And it only uses it to read the title
and the thumbnail from discs.

Opening the library for general consumption by publishing the -devel rpm
opens Red Hat to other risks, e.g. dealing with CVEs in other parts of the
library that Red Hat doesn't use.

(It seems to me they could have quite simply given the library a different
name and avoided the whole issue.)

It looks like the people responsible for it will try to remove libbluray
from RHEL8, opening the door for EPEL, one of the CentOS SIGs, or others to
publish whatever they want without creating a conflict with the one in RHEL.

N.B. that's only libbluray.  libXvMC is another matter.

--

Kaleb