[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8/7.7

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Tue Sep 10 20:24:34 UTC 2019

On 9/10/19 6:10 AM, victor mason wrote:
> What's the hold up on both of these? Are we back to the old days?
>
> https://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/07/30/130249/CentOS-Project-Administrator-Goes-AWOL
>
> The whole point of setting the update page
> at https://wiki.centos.org/About/Building_8 was so people didn't
> constantly ask about release dates. Redirecting queries there is
> completely fair if someone updates the damn thing. It's now been a few
> weeks with complete radio silence.
>
> It's been 4 months since RHEL8 was released and we are coming over a
> month for 7.7 with a bunch of security updates piling up.
>
> Nobody from the outside who depends on this has any visibility into it
> and it's frustrating. Is this an IBM thing? What the hell is going on?

WRT 7.7.1908 .. CR is released:

https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-cr-announce/2019-August/thread.html

WRT CentOS 8 .. it has taken a back seat to 7.7.1908.  Millions of users
already use CentOS Linux 7.  Those people needs updates.

I updated the CentOS-7 build page .. we have to build new kernels for
aarch64 and power9 because Red Hat dropped support for those in RHEL
(they were tech previews there); however CentOS does not want to drop
those users, so we are engineering a kernel for them.

Anyway .. the os/ trees for 7.7.1908 are now (very recently added) to
the QA tree.  They need full QA .. then we can build updates for the
7.7.1908 release.  We can't build them now, because if the os/ dir is
broken .. the updates built from it will also be broken.

Once the updates are built .. and tested .. then the 7.7.1908 tree will
he released.

Then we will get back to CentOS 8 .. since because no one has it yet ..
it is not a priority.