[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8/7.7

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Tue Sep 10 21:43:43 UTC 2019

On 9/10/19 4:24 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> WRT 7.7.1908 .. CR is released:
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-cr-announce/2019-August/thread.html
>
> WRT CentOS 8 .. it has taken a back seat to 7.7.1908.  Millions of users
> already use CentOS Linux 7.  Those people needs updates.
> Then we will get back to CentOS 8 .. since because no one has it yet ..
> it is not a priority.
IMHO, a good choice.  7.7 is much more important, IMO, and when
resources are scarce you much prioritize them.

So far, the CR updates are working out for me, although I've noticed
heavy I/O causing more of a slowdown than with 7.6, both on the internal
SATA/mSATA drives and external USB2/USB3 drives.  But I haven't had time
to dig deeply enough to triage what might be causing it.  Copied some
EME signal captures today (6GB or so) and the GUI became totally
nonresponsive (mouse cursor moved fine, just nothing responded to any
mouse events) while the copy was underway, on one of the internal
drives. If anything, this CR update has been the smoothest so far for 7.x.

Thanks much for your hard work.