[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8/7.7

Lance Albertson

lance at osuosl.org
Wed Sep 11 01:01:09 UTC 2019

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 3:12 PM Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> On 9/10/19 4:51 PM, Akshay Kumar wrote:
> > One more thing I'd like to add is that there are a lot of people who can
> > contribute more help and resources beyond just testing. So right now is
> > probably not a good time but after the release perhaps it make sense to
> > see if more people can contribute. I can't speak for anyone else but I
> > definitely have some bandwidth and maintained an internal build for
> > RHEL3 bootstrapped from src on RH9 and then 4. Then we moved to CentOS.
> >

> I have been building most of the CentOS releases for the the last 17
> years. I know how to do it .. it just takes time to get it right.
>
> But again, thanks for the offer.

Given the people bandwidth constraints and the limited amount of people
actually doing most of the work of the project (especially during
releases), I think it might be a good idea to consider how to bring on
other contributors who can help learn from you. It's rather scary thinking
that if you were to be hit by a bus (let's hope that never happens!), a lot
of that experience and knowledge would go away. I know I have that same
problem with my org and myself!

Would it be possible to look into bringing on additional folks who can help
with releases after this one is done? It would also be great to bring in
some "new blood" so you could maybe retire someday :) That could also help
with the ability of having someone dedicated to the current release and
someone else who could help with an upcoming release.

I appreciate all of the hard work you and others have been putting into
this and am looking forward to 8 when it's ready.

Thanks!

--
Lance Albertson
Director