[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8/7.7

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 05:22:44 UTC 2019

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 7:32 PM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 18:53, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 2:13 PM Andrew Ho <andrewho at animezone.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have just upgraded one of the CentOS machines smoothly to 7.7.1908.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > The upgrade is smooth. Set aside time and disk space, there are a
> > *lot* of components to update.  Beware of the problem building python
> > module RPMs from EPEL, you'll need to instal the new "epel-rpm-macros"
> > package to unset the "python3_pkgversion", which now points to
> > "python3" rather than "python36" and leads to hilarity if you rely on
> > EPEL modules named "python36-[whatever]" that were not included in the
> > new CentOS "python3-[whatever]" modules.
>

> Some of this problem should go away in the next week as we retire some
> of those python36 packages as CentOS 7.7.1908 is out.

It's the packages that are in EPEL, that are *not* migrated to RHEL
7.7 upstream, that trigger the problem. If epel-rpm-macros is
installed, all is well. then mock and RPM say "oohh,
python3_pkgversion is being set to "3" by the CentOS rpm configs", and
the .spec file looks for packages named "python3-idna" instead of
"python3-idna" chaos ensues. The fix is straightforward, just install
epel-rpm-macros.