[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8/7.7

Joe Doss

joe at solidadmin.com
Wed Sep 18 20:19:14 UTC 2019

Hey Stephen,

On 9/18/19 11:55 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Fedora builds are allowed by a happy accident that the number of
> people who download packages are normally less than that the various
> apps that make up koji can handle. We in Fedora have had to limit or
> turn off access at times when people do download too much. The issue
> is that CentOS usage space is 100x that of Fedora, and even if 0.1% of
> CentOS users wanted to download directly from koji, that would be 100x
> what Fedora koji sees from outside users. If we in Fedora saw that
> kind of size jump we would have to severely limit access to the
> packages also to only approved packagers or some other method.

My biggest point is this is a solvable problem and it shouldn't be used
as a stonewall to prevent these builds from being opened in a
pre-release way (AKA a beta) so advanced users can scratch whatever itch
they need on their end. You don't have to serve them from Koji, you can
shove somewhere that can handle the load.

> I understand your reasoning for the rest of the email, and it is
> asking for CentOS to be a different project than it is.

I am not asking CentOS to be Fedora. I am pointing out that there is a
small subset of people in control of CentOS that have access huge user
base that can and will help out with the release process. When you say I
am asking for "CentOS to be a different project that it is" does that
mean the CentOS project closed to it's own community members helping
out? Is it really a small subset of developers that do not want to give
any kind of a control or access until they deem it OK?

I don't believe that is really the case, but I have lurked on this
mailing list for many years and the overall vibe around release time
always feels very anti-community.

Again, I will put my money where my mouth is... How can I help? Where do
I start? There are others in this thread that are also asking how they
can help.

Joe

--
Joe Doss