[CentOS-devel] CentOS Streams q&a

Jim Perrin

jperrin at centos.org
Tue Sep 24 20:32:46 UTC 2019

On 9/24/19 12:03 PM, Greg Bailey wrote:
> On 9/24/19 11:24 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:
>> Okay, now that the release is out, and everything is announced properly.
>> I'm happy to answer questions about Stream.
>
> I assume that the FAQ page at https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ will grow to
> include some of the Q&A discussed here?

That is a safe assumption.

> My question originates from the (lack of) available desktops available
> with CentOS 8.  Would alternative desktops such as MATE (or KDE, etc.)
> continue to be published via the EPEL repository, or could new packages
> be introduced via "streams"?  How does the contribution model for
> streams differ from EPEL packagers?

Desktops would continue to be done via EPEL, or via a desktop SIG if
someone wanted to create one. We've probably overloaded the term, but
please don't conflate the name CentOS Stream, with AppStream, module
streams. The 'official' CentOS Stream packages will reflect RHEL
development code. If it's not accepted in RHEL development it won't be
in the 'official' Stream release.

Ignoring lots of the "we haven't built it yet" mechanics, contributing
to a SIG or EPEL should be reasonably similar. There may be guidelines
or policy variance, but that should be about it.

--
Jim Perrin