[CentOS-devel] VDO on CentOS Stream

Andrew Walsh

awalsh at redhat.com
Wed Sep 25 19:52:55 UTC 2019

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 3:47 PM Brian Stinson <brian at bstinson.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2019, at 14:39, Andrew Walsh wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > First, let me express how excited I am by the news of the CentOS
> > Stream offering.  I am really looking forward to how this works out in
> > the long run.
> >
> > I am in the group that builds VDO, and it is currently delivered as a
> > kmod in CentOS Stream, RHEL, and CentOS.  This requires that if the
> > signatures of the symbols that VDO uses change from one kernel to the
> > next, we may need to rebuild the package against the more recent
> > kernel.
> >
> > The current version of kmod-kvdo (6.2.0.293-50.el8) delivered in
> > CentOS Stream is the equivalent of the RHEL-8.0/CentOS-8.0 GA, while
> > the version of the kernel (4.18.0-144.el8) is newer.  In the time
> > between the kernel that kmod-kvdo was built against (4.18.0-72.el8)
> > and the current kernel in CentOS Stream, the signatures have changed.
> > As a result, the kernel modules delivered in the kmod-kvdo package
> > cannot be loaded due to symbol mismatches (all device mapper related
> > symbols that change periodically, from what I've experienced).
> >
> > I believe that a simple rebuild of kmod-kvdo-6.2.0.293-50.el8 against
> > kernel-4.18.0-144.el8 should be effective enough to get it working
> > again.
> >
> > How can I help facilitate this rebuild now and/or moving forward?  I
> > realize that things are still very much in motion and not fully
> > implemented/decided at this point.
> >
> > Andy Walsh

> Would a rebuild of kmod-vdo happen from these sources:
>
> https://git.centos.org/rpms/vdo/tree/c8

It would actually happen from
https://git.centos.org/rpms/kmod-kvdo/tree/c8 since the vdo package
just provides the user space libraries and utilities.

> or are there changes needed?

The only changes that should be needed (though I haven't tested it to
be 100% certain), is to update the required kernel to make sure it
builds against the proper kernel and also bump the Release field in
the spec from 53 to 54 to get a new NVR.

Change line 4
%define spec_release 53
To:
%define spec_release 54

Change line 9
%define kmod_kernel_version 4.18.0-80.10.1.el8_0
To:
%define kmod_kernel_version 4.18.0-144.el8