[CentOS-devel] os/ and kickstart/ seem identical on Centos 8?

Simon Matter

simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu Sep 26 09:29:43 UTC 2019

> On 26/09/2019 10:06, Kaj Niemi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Is it on purpose that under AppStream, BaseOS, PowerTools (but not under
>> extras, fasttrack and centosplusplus) there is an os and a kickstart
>> directory for each architecture? On a quick glance the directory layout
>> and contents seem rather identical.
>>
>> Asking as “we” do a local mirror of releases and started wondering about
>> the amount of disk space 8 takes.
>>

> Hi,
>
> kickstart is a snapshot of os at GA/release time.
> So that permits people to deploy with exactly same content without
> having a moving target, as BaseOS/AppStream will be including updates as
> they land.
>
> WRT disk space, hopefully, as explained on how to mirror correctly
> (https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreatePublicMirrors) , you use -H for
> rsync, as we heavily use hardlinks in our trees so that it reduces space
> and also used bandwidth to sync mirror content

Hi,

I was just wondering why it wasn't implemented with symlinks? They have
the advantage that they can be recognized easily IMHO. You could then go a
step further and even create an updates/ directory with only symlinks to
the corresponding files. It would allow to still have an updates/
directory which some of us are missing now.

Regards,
Simon