[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8/7.7

Tue Sep 10 16:59:07 UTC 2019
Marcin Juszkiewicz <marcin.juszkiewicz at linaro.org>

W dniu 10.09.2019 o 18:42, Graham Hayes pisze:

> To give you an example - OpenStack currently has CentOS as a base
> OS[1] for deciding the python versions we are testing for each release.
>
> For our upcoming release, we want to drop python2.7 (for obvious
> reasons), but if we are going to keep CentOS 7 as a base OS, we can't.
>
> Having some idea of a timescale would allow us to choose to leave it as
> a base OS (if the expected date is before the start of the new
> development cycle), or drop it (if it is after).
>
> With the current lack of any communication (and the wiki showing that
> work for release is "Not started"), we have to consider the removal.
>
> I know the last thing developers need is someone else asking for
> timelines, but some outward communications would help people like
> us to make informed choices.

In Kolla (another OpenStack project) we are building OpenStack
components as container images.

For Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian 10 we already moved to Python 3 with
whatever we could (there are some binary packages which bring Python 2.7
as dependency).

CentOS support stays at 7 for now with Python 2.7 in images. We were
waiting for CentOS 8 to appear so we could move to Python 3 there too.
For now we hope that centos:8 will arrive sooner than later.