[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8/7.7

Tue Sep 10 19:44:58 UTC 2019
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 9/10/19 2:51 PM, victor mason wrote:
> ...When you have a ton of people depending on you you have a
> responsibility to them. They put their trust in you the least you can
> do is be open with them. ...

Thanks for the compliments.  In my opinion, the devs owe me nothing;
they choose to build packages that I use for no cost, and I am free to
use them, or not use them, as I so please.  Now, my experience is that
the CentOS devs go out of their way to let us know what's going on most
of the time; when the workload gets large, the news of what's going on
slows down, and I don't have a problem with that. I'd rather they work
on the project than on communicating with me, but that's just my
opinion.  And, if you think that's stupid, or idiotic, or moronic....
well, ok, I have been and will be called worse.

Depending upon a gratis project for non-gratis purposes has its
downsides and its risks, and those risks should be accounted for in any
business plan depending upon a gratis project, whether that be CentOS or
Debian or whatever.

Now, on the other hand, I do pay RH for a subscription.  Now things
change; there is a very well-written document that defines their
responsibilities and mine, and the liabilities that go along with those
responsibilities.  No such agreement exists between me and the CentOS devs.

But, again, I've found the communication very good with a few
exceptions, and I've come to expect those exceptions.  A new major
release is one area where the communication rate is going to go down,
and I think that's fine, as long as the release is solid, and I trust
the team enough to know that will be the case.  This is not my first rodeo.