[CentOS-devel] CentOS Streams q&a

Tue Sep 24 19:25:30 UTC 2019
Japheth Cleaver <cleaver at terabithia.org>

On 9/24/2019 11:24 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:
> Okay, now that the release is out, and everything is announced properly.
> I'm happy to answer questions about Stream.
>
> Short version is: We're working with RHEL leadership to help make RHEL
> development more transparent and collaborative with community engagement.
>
> Lots of the engineering work is still "TBD" to make this happen, because
> we wanted to design/develop this in public collaboration with RH as
> possible.

Thanks for the openness -- this announcement is certainly very
heartening news! The "C" in CentOS has long-meant Community-rebuilt and
Community-supported, so having partially- Community-contributed is a
great addition.

My question is mostly on package management and how submissions,
upstream patches, and maintenance might work. Will there be standards
similar to EPEL which can be written against? For that matter, given the
necessary coordination between EL users and EPEL, how does EPEL enter
the picture here?

Finally, curious whether and how Modularity and the rolling nature of
Stream will interact.

-jc