[CentOS-devel] CentOS Streams q&a

Tue Sep 24 21:55:05 UTC 2019
Paul Graydon <paul.graydon at oracle.com>

Honestly, I read the announcement on the RedHat site and got even more
confused
(https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/transforming-development-experience-within-centos),
partly because there were extra products there I wasn't aware of. I
think I have my head wrapped around it now.

* To borrow someone else's attempt at understanding, is this along the
right lines?

Currently: fedora --> RHEL --> centos,

New: fedora --> centos stream --> RHEL --> centos

You're describing CentOS Stream as parallel to CentOS in the blog post
linked above, but then from the rest of it it looks like it's being used
to feed stable features in to RHEL, which would naturally then make
their way in to CentOS, same as things do currently.

* "It is a single, continuous stream of content with updates several
times daily, encompassing the latest and greatest from the RHEL codebase."

What level of changes/updates are we talking about?  More up to date
applications or libraries, or more of just the same kinds of updates as
we'd expect to see between, say, 8.0 and 8.1 (typically more minor
upgrades of libraries and applications.)

Finally, how does this relate to RedHat Application Streams, or does it
not at all?  If it doesn't relate, that feels like a bit of a branding
overload of a term that may unintentionally cause some confusion.

Paul